A Brief Bio
Silvia Jimenez Bolanos is currently
a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department
Mathematics at Colgate
University. She will start as an Assistant
Professor at Colgate starting July 1st, 2015. She
was a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of
Mathematical Sciences at Worcester
Polytechnic Institute from 2010 to 2013. She
obtained her Ph.D. in Mathematics at
Her current research centers on Homogenization of Nonlinear Elliptic Partial
Differential Equations. She
is interested in researching the effect of micro-structure
on the solution of Partial Differential Equations.
"Mathematics is not a deductive science, that's a cliche. When you try to prove a theorem, you don't just list the hypotheses, and then start to reason. What you do is trial and error, experimentation, guesswork."
Recent and Upcoming Activities
- I will attend the 2015 SIAM
Conference on Computational Science and Engineering
and give a talk at the MS113
Fluid Transport Dynamics in Biology and Medicine.
Salt Lake City, Utah. March 14-18, 2015.
- I will give a talk for the Inverse Problems and Analysis Seminar in the Department of Mathematical Sciences at University of Delaware. March 26, 2015.
- I will attend The First Annual Meeting of SIAM Central States Section and give a talk a the Mini-symposium "Analytical and computational Methods in Nonlinear Problems of Solid Mechanics". Missouri S&T Campus, Rolla, Missouri. April 11-12, 2015.
- I will give a seminar
talk in the Department
of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Statistics at
SUNY Oneonta. April 24, 2015.
- I attended the Joint Mathematics Meetings and gave a talk and co-organize the AMS Special Session on Recent Advances in Homogenization and Model Reduction Methods for Multiscale Phenomena. Baltimore, MD. January 2014.
- I attended the 2014 SIAM Annual Meeting and participated with a talk at the AWM Workshop on Numerical and Theoretical Approaches for Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations.
- I participated in ICERM's IdeaLab 2014: Program for Early Career Researchers. August 2014.